Now I'm listening to...

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Music Concert...

For my SOM assignment, i'm supposed to go for a musical concert and write an essay about it... JJ, being an avid music lover, chose a cello concert, while me n YY, having near ground zero music background just follow suit... I better blog about the concert before my memory decays.. which is real soon~ Lol...

It's held at the UCC.. Most of the audience there were dressed formally... I think the audience comprised of serious music appreciaters, rich tai-tais, families... and SOM students.

Lol...

It's my first time to UCC anyway.. It looks super grand to me.. The hall was 4 storey high.. Of course it's not as big as Esplanade or Victoria Concert Hall.. but it looks grand nevertheless.. Haha...

As i sat right at the front, extreme right some more, i'm facing directly at the cello and bass section.. What else is visible to me is only the conductor and the violin/viola section... So i don't really know what other instruments is involved.. think got clarinets, flutes and drums bah...

I realised musically-inclined people got a certain 气质 in them.. Caught a few shuai ges and mei nus too~!! I think the girl in front of me has the looks of Zhou Hui Min.. So pretty~!! The principal violinst is also very shuai sia~!! And a few others in the cello and bass section bah~ WAhahaha... Maybe i should include this in my essay too~ The pleasant visual aids really improved my music experience by a whole lot~!! (Else i would have fallen asleep after the first song... =X)

Anyway, the concert mainly featured a solo celloist who plays a very sad song. His every stroke of his bow was powerful yet brings out the sadness of the music. It's as if he has put his soul into playing that piece... Every emotional piece.. But i think someone who had experienced some heart-wrenching bitter moments in life would probably appreciate it better...

Not me though.. Still young~ Haha..

The conductor too, seemed to put her soul in her role too~ Very lively and animated.. And totally immersed in her own world of music~ She's like a story teller... painting to us the picture of the musical story with her actions.. When the music is slow, peaceful and harmonious, she sways gracefully to the music.. When the music is joyous and happy, she added some bounce and perkiness in her movements..and so on... All these while she's leading the band at the same time.. Not easy at all~ I'm impressed...

I learned another thing... I've always known that the cello and bass can be plucked besides using the bow... But what i didn't know, is that the violin and viola can be plucked too~!!! So i'm in awe when the whole section is plucking their violin/viola's strings.. Interesting... Haha...

Oh, I also just realised that they have this pracitce whereby at the end of a performance, if the audience claps consistently for some time, the band would usually fulfill the audience's request for an encore~ HAHa.. And the celloist did by playing a solo piece.. I personally liked it because it sounded a bit like one of the Goong's background music... Got a tinge of scottish flavour too~ Nice~~

That encore was for the end of the celloist's performance, there was another encore after the finale concert performance.. Haha.. Not bad~ So many additional performance for the price of 8 bucks.. Lol.. Heard JJ said that there was once a performance whereby the band played multiple encores for more than an hour till the hall closes.

So if you guys want more value for your music concert, just be more generous with your claps~ Haha.. At the same time, you also make the people on stage feel better and more confident, which in turn resulted in better quality music, and of course in better music experience~ So yar, clap more!! Lolx...

Overall a great learning experience... Hah...

No comments: