Now I'm listening to...

Sunday, October 08, 2006

To Go or Not To Go???

Work and travel in USA.. Seems to be the topic among my friends lately. After hearing them talking excitedly about the US trip, i admit that i'm a little 心动 also. Whereas before that, i don't usually give a damn to all these overseas programmes. Lol...

Even after contemplating for a very long time, and getting most of the information that i need, I'm still not sure how badly i want to apply for the programme. My parents have given me the OK sign yesterday, and now it's totally up to me to decide... And i'm still in a dilemma!!!!! Arrggghhhhh......!!!!!!!! Never mind, i'll list down all the push and pull factors first.


Push

1. Can experience a new culture and learn more about the coveted U.S life we usually only read about in books

2. Can make new friends, both local and foreign

3. Can become closer with my current friends (those who are going)

4. It's a once in a lifetime chance to go to U.S. for so long, with jobs and lodging already arranged for you.

5. It will be even more expensive if i choose to go there on my own next time

6. First time my parents allow me to go overseas with friends

7. Will be more independent than i currently am (maybe it's time i step out of my own comfort zone?)

8. Looks slightly better in my CV when i'm applying for jobs next time

9. First time i go overseas with friends (many said it's much more fun than going with parents)

10. Next time i may not find people to go with me if i don't go this time

11. Can play in theme park for free! =D

12. If i survive this trip, means i can surely survive other trips liao.

Pull

1. It's damn ex! (3-4K)

2. I'll get home sick for sure

3. Hard to communicate with my friends and family from there

4. May not get used to the culture there, may not be able to cope

5. May get lost there!! *horrors*

6. No parents there to depend on

7. Only few people that i know are going

8. May be hard for me to communicate with the local citizens there

9. Never been overseas with my friends before --> no experience

10. Sounds like going to NS to me

11. Never had NS before --> no experience also

12. Standard of living very high there

13. May not be able to cover all my expenses

14. May get sacked and sent home *double horrors*

15. May not be able to get the same jobs with the already very few people i know who are going, may not even be in the same state as them for that matter!!

16. May get sick there and nobody takes care of me...

17. It's really, really damn ex!! (accomodation, taxes, all other living expenses not included in the 3-4K!!)




So... people, should i go or not?? Some more i have to confirm by this coming tuesday. I'm really really vexed about this issue... Help me to add to my above list if you can think of factors that i missed out.

If i still cannot come to a decision by today, I think i'll just leave it to fate liao. Haha...



Ok, i've decided. If there's no rain on Monday, then i'll pay the $50 deposit and just go ahead with the whole programme. If it rains, then i'll just give up the entire idea bah...

Time: Monday, 9th Oct (0000-2359)

Type of rain: Any kind, regardless of whether it's drizzling or heavy thunderstorm as long as there's water falling from the sky (and not from pails or wet laundries hung at HDBs).

And of course, i must witness the rain myself. No point telling me that there's rain in the East side of Singapore when i'm in the West, or vice versa.

Haha... finally a load off my chest!! Can finally concentrate on my readings liao. HA.




Being a strong believer of destiny and fate, i believe that things always happen for a reason... ^_^

9 comments:

Azure1984 said...

10. Sounds like going to NS to me

11. Never had NS before --> no experience also

aiyo, these two reason for not going rejected la!!! NS is much much worse, you only see greenery and do sai gang and just tired yourself out over unnessary boring stuffs. USA is so much more fun!! :D

12. Standard of living very high there

not really true, as long as you know how to manage your expenses well since food and lodging is covered by the company you are working. These two are most likely the major expenses whenever you go on holidays.

14. May get sacked and sent home *double horrors*

nah... nothing is going to happen to you as long as you don't commit any major errors.

conclusion: just go la~~~~ ^_^
no rain no rain no rain....:P

Jelmer said...

Add ons:

Push
13. The pay is higher than what you would have gotten in Singapore.

14. Can get out of Singapore!! SOO boring, got haze, govt so s****y, no freedom, propaganda....

15. Experience jobs u normally wont do in Singapore. Operate and perhaps try 720degree cockscrew spin rollercoaster!?

16. The food!

17. Shopping! Buy clothes u cant find in Singapore!

Corrections:

Pull
15. May not be able to get the same jobs with the already very few people i know who are going, may not even be in the same state as them for that matter!!

Will get to same state one, if we plan to accept jobs that offer us same place. Same jobs? Hard to say though

Point 1 and 17 quite the same leh.

Haha

Jelmer said...

Not forgetting:

HongKon Disneyland is actually 1% the size of Florida's Disneyworld!

averii said...

Don't go, wait for me!!!

If only I can get my parents to agree, and some how come up with the money...

Hahahhaa... But you will probably have to wait 10 years...

Buwhahahahhhaaaa... Aiyah, I dunno, up to you... But you will miss us gangst8rs...

averii said...

You will DEFINITELY MISS US!!!

And miss HY, Me and JX, and scarly even ZW's Birthday!!!

Don't you dare...

But then, you can always buy us presents there... Muwhahahahahaaa...

Summergal said...

kr: Cos my dad say until going there sounds like great torture like that leh.. n ask me y wanna got there n torture myself.. haha!

expenses covered by company meh? tot muz pay our own??? sure mah?? dun bluff me leh..

counting down... 5+ hrs more... hahaha...

jelmer:
Eh..

pay higher - but SOL oso higher?

haze - no more haze right now... haha!

720 degree roller coaster - i'll puke n faint~~!!

Food - my dad says e food there nt nice at all leh, plus 1 plate of fried rice costs S$15!!! *o*

But shopping is fun!! hahaha...

We going to Florida Disneyland meh?? Or the amusement park that u all planning to work is tt big??

averii: Eh, y not u go lar?? At least 1 of g8ngst8rs is going wif me leh.. u can work intensively during dec den can go together mah!!! can take care of me oso!! =D

Oh yar hor!! tt's a gd pt leh!! by going there, i can save lots of money from u all's presents hor~!! tt's another push factor!! hahahaha.... u pray it rains lor.. still got 5 more hrs.. lol~

but den again, i din realise i'll be missing u all's 21st bdays leh.. wei's wun miss bah.. it's hy, urs n jx's bdays..

Summergal said...

averii: Think... celebrating ur 21st day in the States... So cool!! hAHA~

Jelmer said...

Hmmm... after some psychological analysis, i think ur father didnt want u to go USA.

He is trying to discourage you from going by saying all those stuffs to scare you, even though he did allow u to go...

Also, he asked u to pay urself if u want to go, this shows he thinks that u probably wont want to part with ur own money, hence u wont go in the end.

Haha... so actually it is like letting u fly, but didnt teach u and provide tools for u to fly.

Lol..

But still, don't take this post seriously and argue with ur father hor..

Summergal said...

jelmer: yeah, it's true.. he don't really wan me to go.. But for the money part, i think it's mainly cos he can't part wif his money... lol...